Clarabella Speaks.

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves" - Shakespeare

Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Don't wait, motivate.

One of my most overused phrases this summer (until now) has been
"I don't have any motivation."
There has been nothing that urgently needs doing so nothing has been done, because I have fallen into the trap of waiting to be motivated by that one epic song or book instead of making the decision to just get up and do the things on my Summer 2011 to-do list that I wrote, full of inspiration, upon my return from the States. Was I naive to think I would do everything on that list, or maybe overambitious? I don't think so and now I am going to make sure that I wasn't. 
As much as we wish we could be motivated by the works of others, in reality they can inspire us no end, but it is up to each one of us to motivate ourselves. After we conquer the first motivational battle, the rest will come easily, as John Maxwell so excellently states:

“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment